Tuesday 21 April 2020

Review: Before I Die by Jenny Downham

Fun fact: I found this book abandoned on a train on the way back from London in February. (Remember trains? Remember travelling? That was nice).

It was published 13 years ago, the year I started university, in fact! With plenty of accolades on the back and inside cover I knew I just had to give it a go, despite the not so cheery title or blurb.

It’s about a young woman called Tessa who has leukaemia and knows she’s going to die, but before that happens she wants to accomplish ten things. Her loyal friend, Zoey, helps her with the list.
I didn’t cry at this book, which is surprising for me as it doesn’t take a lot to set me off, but I was deeply affected by it. In movies, books, and media, the image of people with cancer is that they’re heroes, inspirations, always doing stuff like raising money for charity. For the vast majority, though, it’s not like that.

Tessa does not live very well with cancer. She’s angry, selfish, scared, insecure, but also loving and affectionate. In other words, she’s a normal teenager facing a hugely frightening time.
Supported by her long suffering dad, her brother Cal, her neighbour (and eventual lover) Adam, and of course her best friend, Tessa does her best to live when she knows she will die. Jenny Downham has written so brilliantly and faithfully to the teenage experience, being truthful and accurate without slipping into saccharine cliche.

Probably not the best book to read in lockdown, or maybe it is? It certainly readjusted my perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment